The SA Pig Industry Fund (PIF) was established to raise funds to be used to benefit the South Australian pig industry.
Contributions to the Fund are payable by pig owners in SA, whether the pigs are sold in SA or other states. Pig owners pay $0.20 per head to the Fund when a pig is sold for $20.00 or more for slaughter, fattening and/or breeding.
Contributions to the Fund are collected on behalf of pig owners in the State and forwarded to the Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development. Pork SA receives a payment from the Fund to deliver services to the pig industry, which includes managing projects delivered by other service providers.
More information on the Fund can be found on PIRSA’s website: http://pir.sa.gov.au/primary_industry/livestock/pig_industry_fund.
Pork SA is inviting applications from industry organisations and groups for projects that will commence on 1 July 2020. Current priority areas are:
- development of labour saving approaches to piggery activities
- improvement of utility usage efficiencies on farm (electricity, gas, water)
- increasing community awareness of the pig industry and its local benefits
- providing opportunities to increase the capability of people working in the pig industry
- promoting and/or enhancing biosecurity protocol within piggeries and other parts of the supply chain
- enhancement of Safework practices and Workplace Health and Safety application on farms.
Project Application Guidelines are available here.
- Applications open 16 March 2020
- Applications close 24 April 2020
Apply for Project Funding