The SA Pig Industry Fund (PIF) was established to raise funds to be used to benefit the South Australian pig industry. Contributions to the Fund are payable by pig owners in SA, whether the pigs are sold in SA or other states. Pig owners pay $0.20 per head to the Fund when a pig is sold for $20.00 or more for slaughter, fattening and/or breeding.
Contributions to the Fund are collected on behalf of pig owners in the State and forwarded to the Minister for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.
The Minister is the Administrator of the Fund. Pork SA makes recommendations to the Minister on how the Fund is spent.
More information on the Fund can be found on PIRSA’s website:
Accessing the Fund
Pork SA is inviting project funding applications from industry organisations and groups for projects that will commence on 1 July 2017.
Current priority areas are:
- development of labour saving approaches to piggery activities;
- improvement of utility usage efficiencies on farm (electricity, gas, water);
- increasing community awareness of the pig industry and its local benefits; and
- enhancement of Safework practises and Workplace Health and Safety appreciation on farms.
Project Application Guidelines are available here.
- Applications open 20 March 2017
- Applications close 28 April 2017
Apply for Project Funding